Winches are extremely handy tools that can withstand a lot of weight. They can lift and pull heavy loads, making them useful additions to trailers. With them, you can even pull up a truck!
This is why it would be a good idea to learn how to wire a winch on a trailer. That’s the first step towards mounting it. And, we are going to talk about it in detail in this article.
How To Wire A Winch On A Trailer
Below are the steps you should follow. We have done our best to break them down into simple steps for you.
- Choose the right spot to place the disconnector. It must be convenient and suitable for the purpose. A disconnector has 2 wires – long and short, which serve different purposes. Attaching the disconnector to the end of the car makes the most sense.
- The short cable is the ground cord. Ground it to the car’s frame. Make sure it is clean.
- The longer cable, which facilitates power, needs to reach the vehicle’s battery. Make sure you run it such that it does not get disrupted by heat.
- Now, you should connect the power cord to the positive terminal of the car’s battery. The ground cord goes to the negative terminal.
- Connect a circuit breaker to the power cord.
How To Mount A Winch On A Trailer
Now that you are set with the wiring, you simply need to mount it. Here are the steps to achieve this:
- With a measuring tape, measure the amount of space you have to work with. Start from around the middle of the trailer to the end.
- Use a marker to mark the spot. This is the spot where the winch will be.
- The winch kit comes with a template, which is nothing but a metal sheet with numerous holes. This sheet will help you mount the winch in a suitable place.
- Use the template and a marker to outline the winch after attaching the template to the earlier marked spot.
- Also, make sure you identify the spots where the trailer and the winch will connect.
- Drill all the holes you marked. Install the winch with the help of a partner.
- Once you are satisfied with the alignment, insert bolts into the holes and secure them.
- Now, attach the cables.
While the whole process is time-consuming and seemingly daunting, if you follow all the steps we mentioned, you won’t find it scary. Make sure you have someone with you to help you out. That will speed the process up. In case you need any additional help, we are always here. All the best!