How to Paint Your Truck with a Bed Liner – Expert Tips Only for You
Painting trucks with a bed liner has become extremely common in the recent years. The reason behind this is quite simple – bed liner protects the vehicle and provides a certain aesthetic appeal to it.
We highly recommend that you paint your car with a bed liner if you use it regularly and in tough driving conditions. A truck that has the protection of a bed liner is safe from harsh temperature, large equipment, toolboxes, paint chipping, etc. Many truck owners, in fact, paint their whole truck in bed liner for this purpose and while that may take a long time, it is a good idea. However, the only setback here is the money. Painting the whole truck can cost you a fortune. If you are okay with that and see a definite need for it, we encourage you to go ahead.
How to Paint Your Truck with a Bed Liner?
Painting the truck can be quite an engaging activity. It is quite satisfactory, and the results will make all the efforts worthwhile. But, we are sure you are wondering how to paint your truck with a bed liner in the first place. To answer that question, we are here! Please keep reading our detailed instructions.
Clean your Truck Thoroughly
We are starting with a fairly obvious and tedious step, but this is extremely important. Before you start painting, you have to be absolutely sure that there is no debris or dirt anywhere in the truck. Use a broom or a brush to make sure you catch even the small particles.
After this, use warm soapy water to wash the entire vehicle. You may need to use a scrub to scrape out unwanted material. Once you are satisfied with your truck cleaning, let the truck dry completely.
Sanding will remove all the wax, and this is important before you start painting. So, whichever area you want to cover with the bed liner, sand it right away!
Time to Paint!
Mix the painting material, following the instructions on the package very carefully. We shouldn’t need to tell you just how important this step is. Winging it may cause you to get the proportions wrong, and that will ruin everything in one shot.
Using a rolling tray and a roller, apply the paint. For the corners, you can use a brush. Remember to use a dabbing technique instead of the regular brushing technique during the application. Apply it neatly, taking special care in the corners.
You will have to apply at least 2 coats to get the most benefit. Remember to let the first dry completely before you start the second.
Handy tip: Start with the sidewalls and apply both coats. Only then, move to the truck bed.
Important things to remember while painting your truck with bed liner
- Make sure you are in an open, well-ventilated place.
- Wear safety gear and goggles along with gloves before you start painting. The paint should not make skin contact.
- Don’t be in a hurry. This job takes patience and deliberation.
- Once you mix the paint, you must finish the job within 4 hours. That’s plenty of time to get it done. So, there’s no need to rush. But, also, we advise that you not be too slow either.
- Your roller should never run dry. This means that you have to do it continuously without leaving the roller out for a long time.
- DIY is really engaging and fun, but it can also be risky. Painting the truck with a bed liner is actually permanent, and thus, the risk factor is quite high. If you don’t really understand the process well or don’t have the experience, you might as well have a professional do it.
There you have it! Painting the truck with a bed liner is a simple process with easy instructions. Just a little care and patience and you are good to go! If you have any doubts or suggestions regarding this process, please feel free to get in touch with us in the comments section.