Clunking Noise While Braking – Fix The Problem Now
Noise of any kind while driving is not a good indicator. This is besides the smooth operational sound, of course. If you are hearing a certain clunking noise while braking or driving, it could actually be serious. There are many reasons this could happen and identifying them for rectification is the only way to avoid further damage.
We know a few too many instances wherein the car owners did not pay attention to noises while braking only to end up paying hundreds of dollars for serious repairs. You shouldn’t be “that” guy!
Clunking Noise While Braking – Possible Reasons
Noise while braking usually indicates that a part has loosened and is moving around. Specifically, these could be the reasons behind the noise you are hearing:
- Shock absorbers: When the shocks have succumbed to wear & tear and are damaged, you may start hearing the noise.
- Bolts: Loose bolts are another common reason why braking becomes an unpleasant experience.
- Brake caliper: A seized caliper is one of the most common reasons behind clunking noises. A brake caliper may seize or loosen because of corrosion.
- Control arms: When the control arms are damaged or worn out, the wheels may not be aligned anymore. This in turn creates noise while braking.
Clunking Noise While Braking – What You Should Do
- Check for damaged shocks and struts
- Take it to the service station and have the bolts, checked
- Check the alignment of the wheels
- Make sure the brake caliper is lubricated
These checks will help you zero in on the problem and find the location.
Malfunctioning brakes are dangerous and can cause serious problems. If you hear or feel anything out of the ordinary, you should immediately find the reason and rectify it. Otherwise, if the brake suddenly stops working, it will not be safe at all. Never delay any such issues.
It could be something minor but ignoring a clunking noise will only make it worse. Follow the guide above and make sure you solve the problem before it is too late. If you need any additional help, do not hesitate to reach out. You can also speak to a local mechanic for further guidance.