Locks are among the greatest inventions of all time because they safeguard our belongings and ensure that we sleep soundly at night. Imagine our lives without these locks! We would live in constant fear about intrusion, theft, and other crime.
Locks are now a necessity in our lives and for a good reason too! We use them for more than just doors and this includes moving trucks. If you are looking at buying a good lock for your moving truck, you have come to the right place. We have put together a list of the best ones available today. But, before we move forward, let’s get some more information.
Important features in locks for moving trucks
Since these are not traditional locks, it is important to ensure that you have all the required features. The most important ones are as follows:
- The lock should have a shroud, which is an extra protective layer.
- The shackle should be strong and resistant to shimming. They should have the necessary ball bearings to avoid bypass.
- The core of the lock must have various pins so that picking it is a huge challenge. If there are only 2-3 pins, it will be very easy to pick the lock.
- If you are able to get a lock with an anti-drill plate, it will be even more secure.
Best locks for moving trucks
Now, let’s see what our experts recommend for moving trucks!
1. Stanley Hardware Shrouded Padlock
The Stanley Hardware lock is a shrouded and hardened model that provides security grade 4. It has a width of 50mm and a whole range of exciting features such as the following:
- It has a cut-resistant steel shackle made of molybdenum to protect against cutting and sawing.
- Its hardened body is quite sturdy and can resist attacks.
- It is completely shrouded and has a stainless steel build.
- The lock has a 6-pin cylinder that makes picking very difficult. The cylinder is removable to enable rekeying.
- It also has a keyway cover to stay strong even through drilling. This keyway cover is patented.
- Excellent price
- Very sturdy and reliable
- 6-pin core
2. ORIA Combination Lock – 4 Digits
This multi-purpose and sleek lock will help you safeguard your moving truck, your toolbox, your gym locker, and any other case. It is available in sets of 2 and is quite reasonably priced. Let’s find out more:
- The locks are made of zinc alloy and have a resettable combination.
- They are 4-digit locks with 10000 possible combinations, making them very difficult to pick. Of course, they provide much more security than the traditional 3-digit locks.
- Their design is quite amazing. It is weather-proof, lightweight, anti-rust, and reliable.
- It is very easy to use. You can set and reset the combination as and when required. At the same time, though, it is quite difficult to pick because of the innumerable possibilities.
- The diameter of the shackle is 6mm.
- Works as described
- Might get noisy after prolonged usage
3. Sargent & Greenleaf High Security Padlock
If you do not want to compromise on security at all and take no chances, this is the lock for you. It is a high security lock that will keep your moving truck safe no matter what. Below are some of its features:
- It is designed for military-grade usage.
- The shackled is hardened and shrouded for maximum security.
- It has ceramic inserts that making cutting nearly impossible.
- It also has an anti-drill shield.
- The lock has uses indoors as well as outdoors for all high security applications.
- It is resistant to wedging attacks as well.
- Military-grade security
- Extremely expensive
4. Mul-t-lock Padlock with Protector – #13 C
This padlock has a double-sided flat key along with 3 different locking mechanisms. This strengthens it as a lock and provides the security you are looking for. A few more details are listed below:
- It has an MT5 plus core that provides more protection than its predecessors.
- It has sliders to protect the lock from picking.
- The key of the lock has an alpha spring. Thanks to this feature, duplicating it is quite difficult.
- The shutter ensures that the cylinder is pick-resistant.
- The lock has a steel body and is completely shrouded.
- Key cannot be duplicated
- Slightly pricey
5. Ingersoll Padlock – 10 Levers
Ingersoll is popular for using a system of 10 levers that make it almost untouchable. It has a clearance of 20 Hortz x 18 Vert. It also has multiple other features that you will love. A few of them are:
- It has a removable and closed shackle.
- The shackle also has a shroud that completely surrounds it. You won’t even be able to see the shackle.
- The shackle’s full release feature makes it very hard to cut because a thief would have to work on it twice to break it. That’s a lot of time and hard work.
- The shroud is circular. This feature lends it more protection.
- The lock has a nickel chrome finish.
- 10-lever lock
- Excellent quality shackle
- The lock is quite heavy
Make sure you compare these options and choose a lock that suits your requirements.
Now, let’s take a look at a few FAQs.
1) Can you padlock a U-Haul truck?
Yes, you can padlock the back door of the truck.
2) How do I keep my truck from moving theft?
Buy a good lock – any of the aforementioned ones will do the trick. You can also additionally get an alarm system and try parking it in a well-lit location.
3) What size lock fits a U-Haul?
You need a 2-3/4 inch security lock for your U-Haul. The good news is that these locks are quite easily available.
Security always comes first and we hope this article helps you secure your moving truck without any problems. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask us.